Coming to America: The First Elrod

Johan Dider Ellroot: First Elrod to America

BIOGRAPHY: First known record in USA is 1714, christening of son and daughter at Old Swede (Holy Trinity) Church, Wilmington, Delaware. (Which was the area of Lancaster Co Penn. in early days.)

EMIGRATION: Johan Dider Elroot sailed from Rotterdam, 15 Jul 1709, on the 5th sailing, bound for the New World, with wife and 1 child. “Early Eighteenth Century Immigrants”, Knittle LAND: 18 Nov 1719 John Dieter Elroade sold land to John William Lerchenzeiler. New Castle Co. Deeds Book Y-1, page 521. “John Dietter Elroade of New Castle Co., Yeoman, conveyed to John William Lerken Siler of the same Co., Yeoman, some Marsh at the mouth of Drawyer’s Creek and a parcel of land on the most northerly branch of Second Drawyer’s Creek on which the above said John William Lerken Seiler hath built a house and made some improvements” A note says that this transaction suggests that Elrod’s Wife, Maria Magdalene, was John William Lerchenzeiler’s daughter. “Teter Elrod” received a warrant to survey 300 acres, Lancaster Co. PS on 19 Jan, 1733 (Penn. Archives, Series ??, Volume 24, page 398.)

RELIGION: Holy Trinity (Old Swede’s) Church, Wilmington DE shows him and wife Maria Magdalena Lerchenzeiler seated with her parents from 1714-1721. 29 Mar 1719 Lerchenzeiler & Wife & daughter Maria Magdalena took Communion. 19 Sep 1719 Lerchenzeiler, from third Hook (Brandywine Hundred) Johan Dedrich Elrod and wife Maria Magdalene took Communion.

Note: Records show that John Dider Elrod sailed from Holland to London, England on July 15, 1709. He was accompanied by his wife, Maria Magdalena [Lerchenzeiler], and one child. Maria was the daughter of Johan Wilhelm Lerchenzeiler who appears on the same embarkation list. Both these families are included in the so-called “fifth party” of Palatine emigrants which embarked from Holland July 3 to July 10 and sailed to London on July 15, 1709. The Palatine emigrants came to England at the encouragement of the British Government whose intent it was to resettle them in the colony of New York for the purpose of producing naval stores.
The first ship to arrive in New York was the Lyon, which landed June 13, 1710. The last ship arrived August 2, 1710. Although no evidence firmly establishes it, it is assumed that the Elrod and Lerchenzeiler families were among the Palatines who came over in 1710. Some of the emigrants were resettled on a tract of land known as Livingston Manor about 90 miles north of New York City. A large number, some 350, remained in NYC. The available evidence is that the Elrod and Lerchenzeiler families probably remained in New York City, later migrating to the area of New Castle County, Pennsylvania (later Delaware).

The first record of the Elrod’s in America appears in the communion records of Holy Trinity (Old Swedes) Lutheran Church in New Castle County on May 16, 1714, where they are recorded as having communion with the Lerchenzeiler’s. The Old Swede church records show the presence of the Elrod’s in New Castle up through early 1721. Sometime in late 1720 or early 1721, Johan and his family moved to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, as his son, Christopher Elrod, is recorded in the church books there as having been born on January 29, 1721

Note: Dietrich’s name is variously referenced as John Teter Elrod, Dietrich Elrod, Johan Dider Elroot, John Dietrick Ellradt, Johan Deter, Johan Teter, Johan Detrich, or John Dietter Elroade. It is believed that Dietrich and Maria had at least thirteen children.
On 18 Nov 1719 John Dieter Elroade sold land to John William Lerchenzeiler. (Ref: New Castle Co. Deeds Book Y-1, p. 521) – “John Dietter Elroade of New Castle Co., Yeoman, conveyed to John William Lerken Siler of the same Co., Yeoman, some Marsh at the mouth of Drawyer’s Creek and a parcel of land on the most northerly branch of Second Drawyer’s Creek on which the above said John William Lerchenzeiler hath built a house and made some improvements” A note says that this transaction suggests that Elrod’s Wife, Maria Magdalene, was John William Lerchenzeiler’s daughter. “Teter Elrod” received a warrant to survey 300 acres, Lancaster Co. PS on 19 Jan, 1733 (Penn. Archives, Series?, Vol. 24, p. 398.) – Ref: Compiled by Charlotte Curlee Ramsey from data submitted by: Jack and Doris Brown Rose, Parker D. Elrod, Lowell Elrod, Pauline Walters.Passenger List

Painting of Count Philipp Andreas Graf von Ellrodt

The article talks about the once thought to be lost life sized painting of Count Philipp Andreas Graf von Ellrodt being found and bought for a local art collection in Bayreuth, Germany. The painting is by the Swedish portrait painter Per Krafft Elder (1724 – 1793). The article gives a brief history of Count Ellrod and the painter Elder.

Graf Von Ellrodt

Count Philipp Andreas Graf von Ellrodt and The Order of the Red Eagle

Ellrodt Order of the Red Eagle

Count Philipp Andreas Graf von Ellrodt and The Order of the Red Eagle (German: Roter Adlerorden) was an order of chivalry of the Kingdom of Prussia. It was awarded to both military personnel and civilians, to recognize valor in combat, excellence in military leadership, long and faithful service to the kingdom, or other achievements. As with most German (and most other European) orders, the Order of the Red Eagle could only be awarded to commissioned officers or civilians of approximately equivalent status. However, there was a medal of the order, which could be awarded to non-commissioned officers and enlisted men, lower ranking civil servants and other civilians.

The predecessor to Order of the Red Eagle was founded on November 17, 1705, by the Margrave Georg Wilhelm of Brandenburg-Bayreuth as the Ordre de la Sincerité. This soon fell into disuse but was revived in 1712 in Brandenburg-Bayreuth and again in 1734 in Brandenburg-Ansbach, where it first received the name “Order of the Brandenburg Red Eagle”. The statutes were changed in 1777 and the Order named therein as the “Order of the Red Eagle”. The Order was conferred in one class, limited to fifty knights.

The Kingdom of Prussia absorbed both Brandenburg-Bayreuth and Brandenburg-Ansbach in January, 1792, and on June 12, 1792, King Frederick William II again revived the order as a Prussian royal order. After the Order of the Black Eagle, the Red Eagle was the second highest order of the kingdom in order of precedence.
In 1810, King Frederick William III revised the statutes of the Order, expanding it into three classes. In 1830, a breast star was authorized for the Second Class and a Fourth Class was added to the Order. The statutes were further revised in 1861, and a Grand Cross was established as the highest class of the Order. By change to the statutes of the Order of the Black Eagle, every member of that order was automatically invested with the new Grand Cross of the Order of the Red Eagle, as well as with the Order of the Prussian Crown. By 1918, an affiliated soldier’s medal had been made available to commoners and enlisted men.

The monarchy collapsed on November 9, 1918. Though Wilhelm II formally abdicated his personal claims to the throne on November 28, 1918, he admonished his former subjects to “render assistance to those in actual power” until the “re-establishment of order in the German Empire” (1923 Source Records of the Great War, Vol. VI, edited by Charles F. Horne). A new German constitution was signed into law, August 11, 1919, effectually putting a legal end to the monarchy. All orders and decorations formally conferred by the monarchy ceased to exist, but recipients of the Order of the Red Eagle continued to wear it with their other decorations during the eras of the Weimar Republic, the Third Reich, and the restored republic.

Count Philipp Andreas Graf von Ellrodt (1707-1767) was one of the closest collaborators with Margrave Friedrich III and a member of the Order of the Red Eagle. The Order of the Red Eagle breast plate can be seen in the painting.

William Daniel Christian Ferdinand von Ellrodt

William Daniel Christian Ferdinand von Ellrodt (known as Ferdinand) was born in Frankfurt am Main on 17 February 1797.
He became a merchant and settled in Liverpool, but he and his business partner John Emilius Dumont went bankrupt in November 1837.

In the 1830s or 1840s he married Martha Ann Fletcher (born in London in 1811/12) and they had just one child:

Frederick William Von Ellrodt (born in Liverpool in 1846/7, registered first quarter of 1847).

At the time of the 1861 census the family was living at 33 Phythian
Street, West Derby, Liverpool. Ferdinand (64) described himself as a foreign correspondent in a merchant’s office, and his son Frederick (14) was still at school (Liverpool College). Miss Mary Fletcher (54), his wife’s elder sister and a landed proprietor, was living with them, and they had one servant.

On 16 October 1869 Ferdinand von Ellrodt’s only son Frederick was matriculated at the University of Oxford at the age of 22 as a non-collegiate student, and he described his father as a gentleman of Liverpool. His parents must have come down to Oxford to live with him, because at the time of the 1871 census Ferdinand (a retired merchant of 74) and his wife Martha (59) were living in Walton Street with Frederick (24), who was an Oxford undergraduate. Still living with them was Martha’s sister Miss Mary Fletcher (64), and they had one servant. Both Mrs von Ellrodt and her sister were described as landowners.

† Ferdinand von Ellrodt died at Walton Street at the age of 76 on 14 June 1873 and was buried at St Sepulchre’s Cemetery on 18 June (burial recorded in the parish register of St Paul’s Church).

Ferdinand von Ellrodt’s wife and son

Frederick William von Ellrodt obtained a third class in Classical Moderations in 1871 and was then awarded a scholarship by the Grocer’s Company. He was obtained a Third in Theology in 1873, and on 8 June that year was ordained at Chester Cathedral and licensed to St George’s, Sutton.

In the fourth quarter of 1877 Frederick married Elizabeth Eleanora Sinden (born in Macclesfield in 1852/3) at Macclesfield. They had no children.

By 1878 Frederick was Curate of Crockwell Church, Bicester. His mother followed him to the area, because at the time of the 1881 census Mrs Martha Ann Ellrodt (69) was living in a separate house in Bicester (Buckingham Villa, Market End) with her sister Miss Mary Fletcher (74) and one servant.

He was appointed Curate of Wadsley Bridge, Sheffield later in 1881, and of Stoney Middleton, Derbyshire in 1886. Again Martha must have followed her son, as she died at Stoney Middleton on 18 November 1892 at the age of 81 or 82.

Frederick was next appointed Curate of Ecton, Northampton, and then on 15 October 1896 Vicar of Wessington, Derbyshire. In 1901 Frederick (54) and his wife Elizabeth (48) were living at the Vicarage in Wessington, Derbyshire with one servant, and they were still there in 1911. His wife died in Macclesfield in 1919 (reg. third quarter).

William Daniel Christian Ferdinand von Ellrodt

Frederick’s family tree is the following:

Frederick William Von Ellrodt (1847 – 1913)
William Daniel Christian Ferdinand Von Ellrodt (1797 – 1873)
father of Frederick William Von Ellrodt
Friedrich Wilhelm Franz Karl August Ernst Ellrodt (1772 – 1844)
father of William Daniel Christian Ferdinand Von Ellrodt
Christian Philipp Von Ellrodt (1739 – )
father of Friedrich Wilhelm Franz Karl August Ernst Ellrodt
Wolfgang Friedrich Von Ellrodt Count (1704 – 1766)
father of Christian Philipp Von Ellrodt
Johann Michael Ellrod (1672 – 1709)
father of Wolfgang Friedrich Von Ellrodt Count
Phillip Andreas Ellrod (1643 – 1706)
father of Johann Michael Ellrod
Jakob Ellrod II (1601 – 1671)
father of Phillip Andreas Ellrod
Jakob Ellrod
father of Jakob Ellrod II

How was John Franklin Elrod involved in the John F. Kennedy assassination investigation? Hard Copy footage from 22 July 1996

Ellrodt Family Crest

A big thank you to John Elrod for having this rendition of the Ellrodt Family Crest created and sharing with all of us!

low_Modded_Ellrodt-Germany

Jacob-Ellrod Realschule

Named after Jacob Ellrod II (creator of the middle calendar we all use today) and the son of the original Jacob Ellrod from Kulmbach, Germany, The Jacob-Ellrod Realschule is a Lutheran “all-day” school as it is called in German with approximately 375 students. It is called an “all-day” school because students go to school from 7:50 AM to 4:00 PM, and this is considerably longer than the average German school which gets out at 1:00 PM. Students have a long one and a half hour break for lunch in which they may participate in many activities and games to divert their attention from their demanding school schedule. Because the school day is so long, teachers are not allowed to assign written homework to the students. All students must be able to accomplish their work during the time they are at school. There are ten periods a day but the students’ average day is about seven periods.
(http://www.oocities.org/athens/3080/gappgef.htm)

The Jacob Ellrod Realschule website can be found at:

http://www.jesgefrees.de/hp_neu07/start.html

Jacob Ellrod Realschule

Henry Talmage Elrod

Henry Talmage Elrod

Born at Rebecca, Georgia, on September 27, 1905, he earned the Medal of Honor during World War II while serving as Captain, USMC, at Wake Island, on December 8-23, 1941 during the initial Japanese invasion of that Island. He was killed in that action and was subsequently buried in Section 12 of Arlington National Cemetery. Major Henry T. Elrod was born on September 27, 1905, in Turner County, Georgia. He enlisted in the Marine Corps in December, 1927, and was appointed a Marine second lieutenant in February,1931. He attended the University of Georgia and Yale University prior to his entry into the Marine Corps. Following over a year at the Marine Corps Basic School in Philadelphia and at the Marine Barracks there as a student aviator, Lieutenant Elrod was ordered to the Naval Station at Pensacola. Here he served as a company officer at the Naval Station, and as student aviator. In February, 1935, he won his wings and, as a Marine Aviator, was transferred to Quantico, where he served with a Marine aircraft unit until January, 1938. In addition to his other duties, he was squadron school, personnel, and welfare officer. In July, 1938, Elrod went to San Diego for duty at the Naval Air Station and served as squadron material, parachute, and personnel officer, until January, 1941, when he was detached to the Hawaiian area. He arrived at Wake a short time before the hostilities commenced and was one of the twelve pilots who flew the Marine planes onto the island. He was killed in action defending Wake Island against the invading Japanese on December 23, 1941. During the defense of Wake, Major Elrod repeatedly displayed conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life, above and beyond the call of duty. On the 12th of December he single-handedly attacked a flight of 22 enemy planes and shot down two. On several flights he executed low altitude bombing and strafing runs on enemy ships, and became the first man to sink a major warship with small caliber bombs delivered from a fighter-type aircraft. When his plane was destroyed by hostile fire he organized a unit of ground troops into a beach defense and repulsed repeated Japanese attacks until he fell mortally wounded. On November 8, 1946, his widow was presented with the Medal of Honor, posthumously awarded to her husband for his heroic actions during the last bitter days of the defense of Wake. Major Elrod was initially buried on Wake Island, but was reinterred in Arlington National Cemetery, Fort Myer, Virginia, in October 1947.

Neudrossenfeld und Altdrossenfeld Im schonen Oberfranken

Translated: Neudrossenfeld and Altdrossenfeld in Beautiful Upper Franconia

There are several photos of the Ellrodt Castle in Neudrossenfeld, Germany shown in the video as well as the surrounding town.

The unforgettable keepsake weyland Mr. Germann August Ellrod

The unforgettable keepsake weyland Mr. Germann August Ellrod … dedicates this guilty tears of sorrow outermost the widow left behind

Signature: 5 # 2 Biogr Beibd.8
URN: urn: nbn: de: bvb :12-bsb10936519-1
Publication: Beyreuth
Publisher: Minzel
Release Year: 1760
Number of pages: 4
BVB ID : BV001354682 [ catalog]

Description: Digitized book from the copyright-free material in the Bavarian State Library in Munich [Germany] 2007-2012

All four pages can be found at:

http://www.bsb-muenchen-digital.de/~web/web1093/bsb10936519/images/index.html?digID=bsb10936519&pimage=1&v=pdf&nav=0&l=de

541788_319044748197372_1943534872_n

After you click on the link, click on the word “JA” and then click “Weiter” to download and it will open on your PC. It is in German so you will need to translate.

He wrote this for his first wife Marie Helene Rosler who died on 14 Dec 1735 and whom he had one child with. He went on to remarry to Wilhemine Christiana Schmiebel on 1 November 1736 whom he had two more children with that I know of.

Elrod Slideshows
Elrod Photos

Elrod Burial's
Noble Ellrodt Family of Germany
Ellrod/Ellrodt Family Publishing
The Mangum Family
The Adair Family
The Rippetoe Family
The Higgins Family
The Hollins Family
The USS Elrod